Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Skulduggery Pleasant

By Derek Landy

 Meet Skulduggery Pleasant:
Ace Detective
Snappy Dresser
Razor-tongued Wit
Crackerjack Sorcerer
And
Walking, Talking,
Fire-throwing Skeleton.

 As well as ally, protector, and mentor of Stephanie Edgely, a very unusual and darkly talented twelve-year-old.
These two alone must defeat an all-consuming ancient evil.

The end of the world?

 Over his dead body.
 
 
Fantastic! This book is my find of the month, or probably the last few months, if not the year. I absolutely and irrefutably love love love this book.  Irish author Derek Landy has the best sense of humor I have seen in writing; very akin to Rick Riordan with dry wit and wonderful back and forth bickering between Skulduggery and Stephanie. What's not to love with a skeleton detective that does magic and makes quips?  I can't recommend this book highly enough. The themes are dark magic and horror, but the way Landy handles it is appropriate and fun. It doesn't diminish the terribleness of things, but it doesn't drag your soul through the proverbial mud either when he writes about torture and death. Strange how much I enjoyed reading about Skulduggery, who is immediately likeable but dangerous underneath it all. Stephanie isn't as interesting for me, but I enjoy all the characters we're introduced to, especially Tanith Low and China Sorrows. Another Brilliant part for me is about how everyone is born with thier True name, and then have their Given name, and if they want, they can use thier Taken name as a protection against spells. I admit I spent a great deal of time coming up with a Taken name for myself just for fun that fit me. It was that much fun. And when you read this, because I am willing you with my mind powers, you should go check out the official web site (www.skulduggerypleasant.com/us) and listen to the interview with Skulduggery. It was freaking awesome. Oh how I love these books, and hope to have them on my shelves soon. And I just found out there are like 6 of them! I don't think we have all of them in the States yet, but I'll wait less than patiently for their arrival.  This is a great series for young boys in my opinion, as there aren't many that boys react well to. Like Rick Riordan? You'll love Derek Landy. READ SKULDUGGERY PLEASANT!!!!
 
4 1/4 out of 5- Because it was above average, and I loved it so much I want to own it. That doesn't happen often.
 
This is just for fun:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment