Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Promised

By Caragh M. O’Brien

 
After defying the ruthless Enclave, surviving the wasteland, and upending the rigid matriarchy of Sylum, Gaia Stone now faces her biggest challenge ever. She must lead the people of Sylum back to the Enlcave and persuade the Protectorate to grant them refuge from the wasteland. In Gaia’s absence, the Enclave has grown more cruel, more desperate to experiment on mothers from outside the wall, and now the stakes of cooperating or rebelling have never been higher. Is Gaia ready, as a leader, to sacrifice what—or whom—she loves most?


This book probably deserves a better review than I'm about to give it, simply because I apparently read it while I was sorta emotional....or it made me emotional or something.  Without giving spoilers suffice it to say that I was incredibly upset about the events at the end of the book, I couldn't believe how evil the people in the Enclave are to Gaia. Holy frijoles. I was so worked up when I finished, I was blinded to anything else that happened after I read the section that I got so upset with; it did end well and happy-ish. I don't know, it was a sort of dark series for me with torture and gentics and lots of invasiveness and blatant information about babies and sex and what not- it was towing the line for me about whether or not to read it. I'd be careful of letting young people read it, just depending on the sort of person you are. Like I said, some stuff upset me. It's very well written, if a little slow. That was my other beef. It felt like forever before something happened that I was truly interested in; and really most of the book I wasn't all that interested.  I dunno how to review this book. I'm certain that there will be some die-hard fans of it, and others like me who just shrug there shoulders helplessly not knowing what to think. I can't really recommend it personally, but if you enjoy the dystopian genre and aren't bothered by stolen children, werid genetics, strange customs, and references to rape, sex, etc. You might like it...

I give it a 3 out of 5- another Average. 

No comments:

Post a Comment