Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Daughter of the Centaurs

By Kate Klimo

 Malora knows what she was born to be: a horse wrangler and a hunter, just like her father. But when her people are massacred by batlike monsters called leatherwings, Malora will need her horse skills just to survive. The last living human, Malora roams the wilderness at the head of a band of magnificent horses, relying only on her own wits, strength, and courage. When she is captured by a group of centaurs and taken to their city, Malora must decide whether the comforts of her new home and family are worth the parts of herself she must sacrifice to keep them.
 
 
I really wanted to like this book more than I did. My main beef: it seemed to climax too soon. I got to a point where I felt it was at a high, and it still had about 150 pages left. It was downhill and not as exciting from there. Don't get me wrong, it held my attention, it wasn't drudgery to read, it just wasn't quite as good and I was annoyed at the less than exciting ending. All that being said, it was lovely for the horse information, and Malora's wildness was intoxicating at times and recalled a woman completely free and independent at the cost of sociality and conversation. The Centaurs were interesting and differently depicted than I've seen in other books, being more human-like than wild. I found that ironic that Malora was more horse-like and free than the horse-men and women were. This was a well-written novel that was rich, but I think the plotline could've been worked out better. Not sure if I'll continue it or not. We'll see if Malora finds her a love interest, I think I might pick it up again if it looked like I could get some good warm-fuzzies out of it.
 
I give it a 3 out of 5- Average.

No comments:

Post a Comment