Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Heroes of Olympus 3: The Mark of Athena

By Rick Riordan

 
In The Son of Neptune, Percy, Hazel, and Frank met in Camp Jupiter, the Roman equivalent of Camp Halfblood, and traveled to the land beyond the gods to complete a dangerous quest. The third book in the Heroes of Olympus series will unite them with Jason, Piper, and Leo. But they number only six—who will complete the Prophecy of Seven? The Greek and Roman demigods will have to cooperate in order to defeat the giants released by the Earth Mother, Gaea. Then they will have to sail together to the ancient land to find the Doors of Death. What exactly are the Doors of Death?


What isn't to like about Rick Riordan's books about greek mythology in our present day world?  This next book in the projected 5 book series was just as great as the first two- though I have an unexplainable love for the first book in this series, this book was awesome in its own right. It's all about how the kids are setting out to fufill the new great prophecy. Demigods vs. Gaea, ready go!  I gotta say, while I usually am not a fan of the multi-perspective story telling, it works for this series exceptionally well. I was a little disappointed not to hear much from Jason though. But I loved Annabeth and Percy...little warm fuzzy feelings and girl giggles at their cute love story. And the ending was the most epic wonderfulness and at the same time dreadfulness that he could've done for his fans that enjoy the romantic moments. Sigh. I'm pleased to be waiting for yet another installment. I would be happy to have one of Mr. Riordan's greek mythology spin-offs waiting for me to read every year for the rest of my life.  If you haven't read them, go start with Percy Jackson and the Lightning Theif, then on to Heroes of Olympus.

P.S. If you didn't already know, they are making another movie out of Sea of Monsters that comes out this summer and I pray that it is better than the first one...because honestly as far as books into movies goes, that one was on my most hated list along with the movie of Ella Enchanted. (shudders people...shudders)

I give it a 4 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment