Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Slathbog's Gold


By M.L. Forman

“Adventurer’s Wanted. Apply Within” reads the sign hanging in the small bookshop window, but strangely enough, Alex Taylor seems to be the only one who can see it. Seeking some change in his life, the sign seemed like an answer to his plea. As Alex enters the shop, his life indeed is changed forever as he is whisked off to an entirely different land where warriors, elves, and dwarves thrive. Finding himself the eighth man on an adventure to recover a legendary treasure in the horde of Slathbog the Red, an evil dragon, Alex ends up battling trolls and bandits, seeking advice from The Oracle, and facing wraiths. But most importantly Alex finds himself learning about honor, integrity, courage, and friendship.

Fun, fun, fun. That is what I have to say about this book. Honest to goodness, I thought I wouldn’t like it, but I own it now! It was fun to read, sort-of as a simplified version of life in Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings. Except very different, no hobbits in this I’m afraid! It’s fast-paced, fun to read, and has a great adventure and companions to learn about. And dare I say, many a fun thing to learn about Alex, who for good reason was the only one who could see the sign in the shop window! The only down-side that I’ve heard about it, (it didn’t bother me) is the language they use when Alex goes adventuring. It’s very polite and proper, and it can grate on some people’s nerves. I enjoyed it, thought it was fun. But to each his own! The only thing that really bugged me was the amount of times that Alex says, “I suppose.” That got annoying for me, but no one else seems to notice. Oh well. Try it anyway!

Interesting Info: Forman’s next book in the series is scheduled to come out in spring of 2010, called The Horn of Moran. Should be exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment