Saturday, March 21, 2009

The Hollow Kingdom


By Clare Dunkle

Kate and Emily have just moved to Hallow Hill, after the death of their father, to be with their only relatives. Kate is a reputable beauty, though she doesn’t seem to believe it, and also very intelligent. Young Emily is the bolder of the two, with a curiosity and tactlessness that often makes Kate blush. The two sisters are settling in as well as can be expected, but one day during a jaunt into the woods they become lost and wander into a camp of gypsies. But Kate finds out there is something foul afoot. After one, Marak, guides them home, Kate discovers to her horror that he is not even human. And Marak is not done with her yet. Because he is determined to take Kate as his stolen bride. Will Kate be able to escape this horrible fate, to be trapped in marriage with a monster? Things are not what they seem, as trouble looms from more than the hideous goblin Marak…

Clare Dunkle has a way with making old lore and legend into a fantastic story. This is one of my favorite stories that I just happened upon in the library. I have read my fair share of fantasy and fairy tale, but I have never read a story about goblins. This is such a fun read, and reminds me a little of Beauty and the Beast…though don’t expect the same kind of happily ever after ending. Dunkle has a unique writing style that subtly wraps you into her world of Elves, Goblins, and magic. With some darker undertones, I would suggest a little caution if you, like me, are prone to take on the emotion of a book as you read. It can be a little depressing. But otherwise, a great read and very entertaining.

Interesting Info: The Hollow Kingdom is the first in a set of three, but can stand alone by itself, as can the other two books in the series. I liked this because it gave me the freedom to decide if I wanted more or just wanted to stop. The other two books are: Close Kin, and In the Coils of the Snake.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I am so glad you've read this book. I read it last semester for fun and finished it in a day. It really is quite interesting and I had never read a goblin book before either! You really have a very interesting blogspot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I greatly enjoyed it as well, it was just different enough to really take my fancy! Have you read the other two?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not, but I really want to! I had checked out this one from the University library, but they didn't have the other two. I won't be able to read them until I return home. Have you read them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, both were really good. The second one is more about Emily and Seylin, if you liked the first one, you will like the others as well.

    ReplyDelete