Thursday, March 19, 2009

Fablehaven 3 Curse of the Shadow Plague


By Brandon Mull

Disclaimer: For heaven’s sake don’t read this if you haven’t read the other two books and don’t want spoilers!

Kendra and Seth are in store for another adventure in the 3rd installment of the Fablehaven fantasy series. A mysterious change has come over Fablehaven, turning many of the creatures of light into dark shadowy beings. The Sorenson family and friends, Tanu, Coulter, Dale, and Warren, must find out what is happening before Fablehaven collapses from the inside out. And what of the Sphinx? Who was the man that he took from the quiet box, is he a friend or enemy? Will they be able to save Fablehaven, or will they have to find refuge somewhere else? Help abounds from surprising sources, and old friends return in this epic continuing adventure.

Brandon Mull impresses me with every new book he writes in this series. Unlike many series authors, his books keep getting better and better. This book was a page-turner, and got me laughing, nearly crying, (it takes a lot to get me teary) and gripping the book pretty hard in suspense. I read it in a little more than 24 hours and it was just fun. And I have a new favorite character! I won’t say who though, or I’d ruin the whole thing. The zombies were fun to read about, and the dragons, demons, and other creatures that had a lesser stake in the last two books. We get a little romance starting in this one, and Seth might actually be maturing a little. And gasp…there is a main character death. Is that enough to get you interested? If you are still wondering whether to read this one, pick it up-right now. Read it-right now. I’m using my mind control on you. Scary isn’t it?

Fun facts: The 4th book comes out on March 24 (this Tuesday). And, drum roll please, Avi Arad has bought the rights to Fablehaven and is planning on making a movie! Let’s hope that 1: he does as good a job as he usually does, and 2: he actually makes the movie this time.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for book 4 too--I love this series! Have you read the candy shop war?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope I haven't read the Candy Shop Wars, it seemed like Wily Wonka meets The Incredibles...or am I way off?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it was going to be a little wily wonkaish as well, but not so-I really enjoyed it. And I don't see any parallel to the incredibles at all. You should put it on your list and see what you think-if you come out for Caleb's baptism you'll have to borrow it (I'm sure you could have it done in before you leave!:))

    ReplyDelete