Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Inkheart


By Cornelia Funke

Meggie Folchart is happy to be with Mo, her father, and to help him travel around fixing books. Mortimer Folchart is an expert bookbinder and avid reader, a trait his daughter inherited. One day, a mysterious man shows up outside of the window at their home. With him, he brings news that obviously displeases Mo, who decides to immediately remove himself and Meggie to her Aunt Elinor’s house in the south. As Meggie tries to weedle the information out of Mo, she slowly begins to un-ravel the tale of her mother’s disappearance and her father’s unusual gift. When Mo is kidnapped for his gift, Meggie will stop at nothing to follow him and get him back. But only when she finds him does she realize the gift her father has, has become his greatest curse. For Mo, who can read aloud so beautifully, so deftly, and magically, the world of literature has become quite real as he literally brings the characters to life out of a fateful book called, Inkheart.

This book was really a slower read for me for its genre. But I was not disappointed in the time I spent reading its four-hundred plus pages. As someone who loves to both read and write, this book delighted and entranced me. My absolute favorite character is Mo, whom is the epitome of everything I love; bookbinder, reader, loving father and husband, gentle, kind, and brave. I adore everything about this book. It brings to life every thought, dream, and idea of the dedicated bookworm between its pages. In all actuality I wasn’t sure that I liked it until the day after I finished it, and when I couldn’t stop thinking about it or the characters or the thoughts and ideas inside it, I got more and more excited and knew that I had loved it. This doesn’t happen often, I usually know long before I finish a book if I will like it well enough to own it or read it again. So as Elinor would say, “By all the letters in the alphabet”, you had better read this book!

Fun Facts: Cornelia Funke is a German writer, whom we are fortunate enough to get translations of her books. Inkheart is the first of her trilogy. Inkspell and Inkdeath are the other two books in the series, the last of which is only very recently out in stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment