Saturday, March 21, 2009

The Legend of the Jewel


By N.C. Allen

Isabelle Webb is a spy. One of the few female spies in the United States in 1865. After the assassination of President Lincoln, Isabelle is pained with her failure to a man she knew and loved. Taking a much needed holiday to exotic India, Isabelle and her young Ward Sally Rhodes meet James Ashby, who is looking for his brother who is caught up in a search for an ancient Jewel. Isabelle and Sally form a friendship with James and they offer to help him find his lost brother. In the process things spiral out of control, and the search becomes a deadly one. And not only that, but she finds that she is looking at James quite more than she should…will their ending be happy, or entirely too short?

This book was given to me for Christmas, and I just finished it today. It was interesting enough, and a very quick read, and fast-paced. I found it lacking in many ways, one of which was the caliber of the writing, which seemed a little novice and perhaps was published a little too soon. For a mystery it was fairly obvious. I wanted more of the gospel in it, versus the few references to James being Mormon and the mention of praying. I did however enjoy the romantic parts of it, though they were very cheesy. But I like cheese! The characters were good, but I found a little too much contradiction and not enough depth to many of them. To be honest (sorry Emma) I didn’t much care for this book. But since it is a series, I suppose it has the potential to get better. It left a little too much open-ended for my tastes. Oh, well, it was fun enough to read.

FYI: N.C. Allen wrote the Faith of Our Fathers series, so if you have read them and liked them, you may enjoy this book and its series. (I have not read them so I can't say one way or the other.)

No comments:

Post a Comment