Sunday, August 16, 2015

Steelheart

By Brandon Sanderson

Ten years ago, Calamity came. It was a burst in the sky that gave ordinary men and women extraordinary powers. The awed public started calling them Epics. But Epics are no friend of man. With incredible gifts came the desire to rule. And to rule man you must first crush his will.
Nobody fights the Epics…nobody but the Reckoners. A shadowy group of ordinary humans, they spend their lives studying Epics, finding their weaknesses, and then assassinating them.
And David wants in. He wants Steelheart—the Epic who is said to be invincible. The Epic who killed David’s father. For years, like the Reckoners, David’s been studying, and planning—and he has something they need. Not an object, but an experience.
He’s seen Steelheart bleed. And he wants revenge.


First off I need to say that I began reading this when it first came out and my interest flagged pretty quickly (partly because I started it when I wasn’t in the mood for it) so I put it aside so I could give it the attention I thought it most likely deserved, knowing Sanderson’s ability to write phenomenal worlds and characters. I decided to wait until the last book was fairly close to coming out so I wouldn’t be in yet another waiting line for a series. So I decided to listen to this on Audible. I am SO glad I made that decision. MacLeod Andrews, who narrates the audiobook is fantastic. I was immediately grabbed by his voice and his subtle way of reading the story. I felt like it was a whole new book and I loved how he narrated as David. He has this amazing ability to deliver the dialogue in the perfect way that animates and brings to life the situation and the characters. I devoured this audiobook and couldn’t wait to listen to it. I’ve tried audiobooks before and this is the first time I listened to an audiobook when I wasn’t driving and had other things to do. Combining Mr. Andrews’ presentation with Sanderson’s brilliant writing was genius. I loved this book. The plot was amazing, I was left flabbergasted at some of the turns and surprises at the end. This is an awesome twist on ‘superhero’ books, where the question is put: what happens if everyone who acquires superhuman powers actually becomes evil? By the end of the book you’re realizing the straightforward plot that you were handed at the beginning is the tip of the iceberg. I finished this audiobook knowing that I didn’t want to read the next book, I wanted to listen to it. In fact, I immediately went and grabbed it on audible and am now listening to Firefight. I’m still trying to figure out how I’ll survive the wait until February for Calamity.
Anyway, plot is solid, action-packed and rendered in crystal-clear quality. Characters are fully realized, unique, and diverse. You have Cody, the Scotsman from the Southern States, Abraham, The Canadian with a French accent and heavy artillery, Tia, the Redhead with a plan, Megan, the young serious fighter, and Prof, the man, the myth, the legend. And David, a kid with a vendetta, a serious lack of social life, and whose metaphors need a lot of help.
Tons of fun from Sanderson. I’m liking this one in a major way.

I give it a 4.5 out of 5 (A 4 if it’s without MacLeod Andrew’s performance, it really does bring it up another level!)

No comments:

Post a Comment