Monday, August 17, 2015

Anne of Green Gables

By L.M. Montgomery

“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?”

Anne of Green Gables is one of the world’s most beloved young heroines. This coming of age novel is a must read for romantics of all ages. This book tells the adventures of Anne Shirley, a young orphan girl, age 11 who is mistakenly sent to Mathew and Marilla Cuthbert, a middle-aged brother and sister who had intended to adopt a boy to help them on their farm on Prince Edward Island.


I tried to read this a few years ago and was so bored I vowed I wouldn’t read it. This just goes to show that sometimes you really need to be in the right mindset to read certain genres of books. This was so cute and fun and warm-fuzzies abound. I liked it enough that I’ll keep reading the series as the mood strikes me. I learned a valuable lesson: don’t force yourself to read something when you don’t really want to read it. I waited until I was ready to try it because I wanted to and not just because other people pressured me to. Anne is such a likable character and it was fun to see how she differed from the movies I grew up watching with Megan Follows. It was sweet and lovely. It reminded me a lot of Little House on the Prairie in tone. Really enjoyed it, and had fun reading about the mishaps of one of the most beloved red-heads in literature. Diana getting drunk is one of my favorites.

I give it a 3.75 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment