Sunday, October 20, 2013

Mistborn


By Brandon Sanderson

For a thousand years the ash fell and no flowers bloomed. For a thousand years the Skaa slaved in misery and lived in fear. For a thousand years the Lord Ruler, the “Sliver of Infinity,” reigned with absolute power and ultimate terror, divinely invincible. Then, when hope was so long lost that not even its memory remained, a terribly scarred, heart-broken half-Skaa rediscovered in the depths of the Lord Ruler’s most hellish prison. Kelsier “snapped” and found in himself the powers of a Mistborn. A brilliant thief and a natural leader, he turned his talents to the ultimate caper, with the Lord Ruler himself as the mark.

But even with the best crew ever assembled, Kel’s plan looks more like the ultimate long shot, until luck brings a ragged girl named Vin into his life. Like him, she’s a half-Skaa orphan, but she’s lived a much harsher life. Vin has learned to expect betrayal from everyone she meets, and gotten it. She will have to learn to trust, if Kel is to help her master powers of which she never dreamed.

 

So, I’ve heard many avid readers enthuse about Brandon Sanderson, but when I read his Alcatraz books I was left with the feeling that he was talented but not really above average. I am here to tell you how wrong I was.  I read this book because I’ve got a friend who is pretty much Sanderson’s number one fan and I know she has good taste, so I thought, why not? I’m not really the type of person to get into high-fantasy, it tends to go on without any end in sight, which irritates me. This book was so brilliantly written, so cleverly concocted that I was reeling with Sanderson’s imagination and world-creating genius. It was concise, which is hard to do in fantasy, had a completely original feel, which is nearly impossible now days, and the characters were well fleshed out and not stereotypical. Basically, Mr. Sanderson, you rock. I was engrossed with the plot, wondering what wrenches he would throw in the works, because this was not a book you could see what was coming. It was “real life” unpredictable, even though there are people flying over rooftops. If you have any kind of liking for fantasy and a good yarn, I highly, highly recommend this book. I still have yet to read the other two in the trilogy, but I can tell you, they are definitely going to be read. I bow to your prowess Brandon Sanderson and would love to pick apart your process.

 
4 ½ out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment