Sunday, October 20, 2013

Leopard Moon


By Jeanette Battista

How do you disappear when you come from a family of predators?

A wereleopard, Kess is forced to flee her home and family in Miami once her brother’s obsession with her turns violent. She runs from city to city, trying to stay one step ahead of the investigators her family has dispatched to bring her home. Kess ends up in the mountains of North Carolina and attracts the attention of Cormac, a young man with a secret of his own. As she attempts to live as normal a life as her were-nature allows, her brother Sek continues to hunt for her. He believes she is the key to revitalizing their weakened clan and is driven to extreme measure to ensure their continued existence. As Kess’ relationship with Cormac deepens, Sek closes in, threatening Cormac’s life and Kess’ freedom.

 
Good gravy. I have so many issues with this book, which I don’t know why I thought might be different from the main stream stuff of the moment. Were-leopard seemed such a cool idea to me, and I’m really okay with paranormal romance if it’s not obsessive (ahem…Twilight) and well thought out. This book was wrong on so many levels. For one, I don’t know why I thought that in the synopsis when it said Kess’s brother was ‘obsessed’ with her that it wasn’t going to be incest. Stupid brain. I thought, no one would do that in a teen book! That’s disgusting. Nope. Wrong. It went there. Gross. And yet, yes reader, I did finish it. There wasn’t anything special about the characters in the book. Kess is beautiful, graceful, and in trouble, but able to handle herself. Cormac is like a gorgeous marble statue by Michaelangelo, as well as protective and almost immediately in love with Kess, who barely puts up any struggle at all. Sheesh. The only slightly interesting thing about this book was the way it put were-creatures into light, you had the wolves, bears and hyenas. That part was interesting, and not there as much as I would’ve liked. But, due to incest and lack of originality in the romance, I have no interest whatsoever in reading any more of this series. I’m thouroughly sick of this groundhog-day like plot that shows up in any book with romance for teens.

 
I give it a 1 ½ out of 5 for some interesting aspects.

No comments:

Post a Comment