Sunday, October 20, 2013

The Alchemyst


By Michael Scott

He holds a secret that can end the world.

The truth: Nicholas Flamel was born in Paris on September 28, 1330. Nearly 700 years later, he is acknowledged as the greatest Alchemyst of his day. It is said that he discovered the secret of eternal life.

The records show that he died in 1418.

But his tomb is empty.

The legend: Nicholas Flamel lives. But only because he has been making the elixir of life for centuries. The secret of eternal life is hidden within the book he protects—the Book of Abraham the Mage. It’s the most powerful book that has ever existed. In the wrong hand, it will destroy the world. That’s exactly what Dr. John Dee plans to do when he steals it. Humankind won’t know what’s happening until it’s too late. And if the prophecy is right, Sophie and Josh Newman are the only ones with the power to save the world as we know it.

 

This has been on my to-read list since it came out years ago. When I found it for pennies at the local thrift store I picked it up to read. I have to say that I was peeved. The synopsis, of which I copied and pasted above, leads you astray as to the way this book is told. It is almost entirely told in the perspective of twins Sophie and Josh, who I was irritated were the main narrators. I was really hoping for a wicked-awesome story from Nicholas Flamel himself, but no, this is just another teens rescue the world book that happens to have a famous historical mentor figure. That said, after I got past my irritation (for the most part), I thought to myself, this series has potential. It’s not my favorite, but I also said that the first time I read Fablehaven by Brandon Mull, and it is now probably my favorite series next to Harry Potter, and I’ve read it just as much. So I’m cool with being wrong about first impressions. It did intrigue me enough to want to read the next book, so I’ll let you know if it’s worth a gander.

 

I give the first book a 3 out of 5- average.

No comments:

Post a Comment