Saturday, April 9, 2011

Heart of Darkness


By Joseph Conrad


Set in an atmosphere of mystery and menace, ‘Heart of Darkness’ tells the story of Marlow’s journey up the Congo River to meet the remarkable Mr. Kurtz. It reveals Conrad at the height of his powers as a writer of great vividness, intensity, and sophistication.



I've wanted to read this one for a long time, and finally got my chance when it was assigned for one of my college classes. This novella is just plain weird. Half of it is just waiting for rivets at this little town on the river. The whole plot revolves around meeting the mysterious Kurtz, and when we finally do, it is rather anticlimatic. I kept reading simply because I wanted to find out what the big deal was (and I needed the credit!). All in all, this is a quick but dragged-out read about the dark side of people. The cannibals were kinda cool though...

No comments:

Post a Comment