Saturday, March 13, 2010

Recovering Charles


By Jason F. Wright

Luke Millward is a man who does not know he is lost. His career in Manhattan is going well; he has the love of close friends; and a future that he looks forward to every day. Only when the past revels its twisted smile in a phone call and the disconnected voice asks him to come find his estranged father in a post-Katrina New Orleans is Luke compelled to find out what kind of man he truly is; and who the man is that his father has become.
Luke’s story is one of finding true love and one’s true self. It will resonate with readers long after the last page. Recovering Charles is for every family who has had their share o rough times; for anyone who regrets the things never said; for everyone who needs to know their life has a second verse.


So when I picked this book up at the bargain sales corner I had no idea what it was about. I’d just heard good things and I knew that Jason Wright was a great writer having read The Wednesday Letters. This book is set in the aftermath of hurricane Katrina and the devastation it caused to the people not only in New Orleans, but along the coast. I remember consciously not watching the news coverage when Katrina hit. It was too much for me at the time and I just didn’t want to know. Reading this book opened my eyes to a lot of the things that happened that I had previously closed my eyes to. Along with the disaster that Katrina brought, is the story of a man who lost his mother to depression and suicide, and his father to alcohol. This book is all about changing and the possibility of recovering from all walks of life we might find ourselves in. It was beautiful, if haunting. I loved Charles song at the end: Love me if you can. It seemed to summarize everything wonderfully for anyone who has ever gotten off the right path and had to struggle to find their way back. Beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment