Saturday, March 13, 2010

Ranger's Apprentice 4: The Battle For Skandia

By John Flanagan

Far from home after escaping slavery in Skandia, Will and Evanlyn’s plans to return are spoiled when Evanlyn is taken captive. Will employs his Ranger training to locate his friend, but soon finds himself fatally outnumbered-until Halt and Horace make a daring, last-minute rescue. But their reunion is cut short by the discovery that Skandia’s borders have been breached by the Temujai army-and Araluen is next in their sights. Only an unlikely union can save the two kingdoms, but can it hold long enough to vanquish a ruthless new enemy?

Have I mentioned that I really really love this series? Mr Flanagan, you are a great story-teller! I am captivated with the twists and turns, the military tactics, and the good old fashioned comradery and friendships. Each character is so well developed and just darn likable (or in some cases unlikeable) that it makes me smile and cringe when the plot takes unlikely turns. There were so many laugh-out-loud moments, that I was in a thoroughly good mood when I finished. I’ve enjoyed Skandia- the fictional mirror of Norway and the Vikings. It’s just fun and completely action-packed. I can’t wait to find out what happens next! If you like fiction at all, if you enjoy knights, swords, bows, and spies, you will adore Flanagan’s series. If I had Jedi mind powers I would wave my hands and say, “you will start reading it now, and you will love it as much as I do." :D

No comments:

Post a Comment