Wednesday, December 30, 2009

My Not-So-Fairy-Tale Life


By Julie Wright


Looking away, I asked as nonchalantly as my rapidly beating heart would allow, "So you're the kind of guy that believes in fairy-tales." "I am. And you're the kind of girl that believes in the reality of here and now." "When you're pregnant and living with your brother and his wife, reality seems like a safer place to stay."
Suzanne Quincy was raised by an abusive mother and an apathetic father. In an effort to escape her upbringing, Suzie chooses the numbing effects of drugs and alcohol--and the accompanying lifestyle. She reaches a crossroad when she discovers she is pregnant. Will she listen to the world and abort the baby, or will she listen to the conscience she has ignored her entire life? The choice she makes sends her down a path of self-discovery. This story is about choices and consequences, laughter and tears, and finding the truth in the midst of it all.


This one I bought because the author was in Deseret Book and it looked interesting. Not the usual stuff I would pick up. When I talked to Julie, she told me that if I didn't laugh I had no sense of humor and if I didn't cry I was a cold-hearted beast. Well, I do have a sense of humor, but aparently I'm a cold-hearted beast. Not that it wasn't cry-worthy, it truly was, but I just wasn't really connecting enough to cry. I think women who have had children will bawl. Suzanne was a very funny and completely real character. It was really awesome to see her change her life around. She finds everything that she thought was impossible, even though her life is filled with incredibly horrible things. This is a very true-to-life story that will get you thinking, and make you thankful all over again for the life that you have. Warm-fuzzies abound. Slight warning though: the first part of the book is fairly sad, so just keep plugging and it gets A LOT better.

2 comments: