Thursday, April 30, 2009

Midnight Pearls


By Debbie Viguie

On the day of the worst storm the country of Aster has ever seen, a lone fisherman finds an unexpected treasure: a little girl. The small girl is paler than snow, has silver-white hair, and long colt-like legs. The fisherman and his wife decide to call her Pearl. Thirteen years pass and Pearl feels so utterly different, not just because of her appearance, but because of her strange dreams. Her only comfort comes from her loving parents, and her only friend, Prince James. Then one day Pearl’s past comes forcefully back into her life, confusing and frightening her, and she has to decide what she really wants…and who she really wants to be.

Well, this is, as the cover says, a retelling of The Little Mermaid, and frankly wasn’t what I was expecting. This book is a prime example of a bad summary on the back. I was totally prepared for something that didn’t happen and so I was disappointed the whole time. And just for the record: I do not believe in love at first sight. This book is an advocate of that, and I was irritated. If you like Romeo and Juliet-like books, then you would like this. I really wish I had been prepped for a different kind of story for Pearl than the one that I was sure would happen. I would’ve enjoyed it more. It’s a quick read, though. I finished in two days at my leisure.

No comments:

Post a Comment