Thursday, April 2, 2009

Austenland


By Shannon Hale

“It is a truth universally acknowledged that a thirty-something woman in possession of a satisfying career and fabulous hairdo must be in want of very little…” Jane Hayes however, was in want of very much. And her obsession with Mr. Darcy (as played by Colin Firth) was getting in the way. But Jane just can’t let him go! So, in an attempt to put in all behind her, Jane accepts an invitation to Pembrook Park, a place where people live the life of Regency England, and are able to find a Mr. Darcy all their own. Jane believes that once she gets it out of her system, she will be able to finally throw out her Austen books, and her precious BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice and live a normal life…but things never turn out the way you plan.

Hmm. This is Shannon Hale’s first book for adults, and it was funny at first. Then it got a little exasperating, then embarrassing, then funny again, then just really gushy. There were parts that I thought were absolutely hilarious and tickled my fancy, but other parts where I was going, ‘whoa horsey!’ in my head. There was a little too much candor in the character of Jane Hayes at times, and a little too much intensity with certain members of the opposite sex. For others it probably would be funny, but to me it seemed so utterly ridiculous that a woman would be so desperate. I clashed with Jane Hayes as a character, so I have very conflicting feelings toward this book. The whole context is just a little surreal and odd, flinging 21st century people into Austenland, where I was never sure who was for ‘real’ and who was acting. Neither was Jane, and that was the frustrating part. But it was a fun little read, a little under 200 pages, I stayed up until 3 A.M. finishing it, just because I can! I think most women who ever had a liking for Mr. Darcy and his declarations of ‘fine eyes’ will enjoy this little adaptation of trying to let go of the perfect model to find something real.

Funny Info: The book dedication states: “For Colin Firth, You’re a really great guy, but I’m married, so I think we should just be friends.” Shannon Hale makes me laugh.

1 comment:

  1. This totally sounds like a book I would enjoy! I'll have to pick it up!

    ReplyDelete