Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The Little Prince


By Antoine de Saint-Exupery

“Will you draw me a sheep?” It was the first thing the pilot heard after his plane had crashed in the middle of the Sahara Dessert. So he says, “Absurd as it seemed, a thousand miles from all inhabited regions and in danger of death, I took a scrap of paper and a pen out of my pocket.” This is the beginning of the strange dialogue between the pilot and the little prince from a different planet. In a fable of loneliness and love, Antoine de Saint-Exupery’s final and most famous work is still powerful and moving to both children and adults alike.

Reading this book, I decided, was an act of providence. My little niece left it at my house after a visit this morning and so I decided to steal the 93 page book and read it, since I have wanted to read it for some time. This book is a gem. It is a fun book that I think parents would enjoy reading out-loud to their children. The simplicity in which it is written, and the deftness in which he speaks of love and also loneliness is inspiring and beautiful. Every single person who knows how to read should read this book. No one will be able to look at the stars on a clear night after reading this book without smiling and perhaps even a little laughter, and a thought about a prince and a rose on a faraway planet.


Interesting info: Antoine de Saint-Exupery was a French pilot. He wrote and illustrated The Little Prince in 1943, a year before his own plane disappeared over the Mediterranean as it was being attacked by a German plane.

4 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to find some books that I could read to the kids! I'm going to put this one on the list! Thanks Staci!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great choice! I just love this book so much :) I read it in a night and found myself thinking about it constantly. It's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Staci...I just finished the Goose Girl last night...I stayed up until 2:00 to finish! Loved it!!! Have you read any of the other Bayern tales? Want to know if they're worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you liked it! It is one of my all-time favorites. There are currently 2 other Bayern books out, both of which are fun to read, though I personally didn't like them as much as The Goose Girl. They are still fun to read to continue the story of everyone...and you find out what happens with Isi and Enna and everyone. There is a fourth book called Forest Born coming out this fall. I would check out Shannon's other books; they are all excellent. I recommend Book of a Thousand Days very highly.

    ReplyDelete