Sunday, January 26, 2014

Sense and Sensibility

By Jane Austen

The Dashwoods have just lost their beloved husband and father, have been forced to move away from their beautiful home, and have little to recommend themselves to men for their future comfort besides their beauty and personality. Marianne is the romantic, untempered, unfettered. Eleanor is ever practical and reserved. When they both gain and lose love, will they find it again? Can this new life of theirs be endured?

Finally. I have wanted to read this for years. I’m in love with the movie with Alan Rickman as Colonel Brandon and have been dying to read the novel. As with all of Jane Austen’s novels, the heroine’s win the day at the end and while they wade through pain and despair, everything turns out great. I was a bit disappointed in Edward’s character. He seemed kinda…whiney. Oh well, my favorite character was good. I feel a little ashamed to admit this though, I don’t think I’ll ever read it again. I like the movie and TV versions better! There I said it. Persuasion and Pride and Prejudice are top notch books though. Even though Colin Firth is awesome as Mr. Darcy, you can’t beat reading the book.


I give it a 3 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment