Friday, March 15, 2013

UnEnchanted

By Chanda Hahn

Mina Grime is unlucky, unpopular and uncoordinated, that is until she saves her crushes life on a field trip, changing her High School status from loser to hero overnight. But with her new found fame brings misfortune in the form of an old family curse come to light. For Mina is descended from the Brothers Grimm and has inherited all of their unfinished fairy tale business. Which includes trying to outwit a powerful Story from making her it’s next fairytale victim.

To break the fairy tale curse on her family and make these deadly occurrences stop, Mina must finish the tales until the very Grimm end.

 

This is a free book that I got on my Kindle that I was pretty excited to read. I really enjoy fairy-tale books (if you haven’t noticed that already) and was intrigued when I read the above synopsis. Mina is a fun character, though I felt like she was a little stereotypical of the “I think I’m homely but I’m actually gorgeous” ploy. That always bothers me when an author does that, I find it boring and predictable. But I enjoyed Mina’s best friend Nan, who sports Edward and Jacob t-shirts and is constantly obsessed with how many people are following her on Twitter. The fairy-tale part of the book, with the curse and what-not was…interesting. The fairy-tales aren’t straightforward when Mina has to relive them, so that was fun to try and figure out how she was supposed to ‘complete’ the fairy tales. But it also sorta killed my interest, because it seemed too easy at times. I was pretty sad about the ending for Mina, but I won’t spoil it. I liked the fae boy Jared, and am interested as to who he actually is; so that’s probably the only reason I would continue the series, because I’m intrigued as to his true identity. But, you know, for a free book, this is pretty fun if you like Grimm fairy tales and unlucky girls and a little romance thrown in.

 
I give it a 3.5 out of 5 for a little over average just for the imagination of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment