Thursday, March 7, 2013

Firelight

By Sophie Jordan

A hidden truth.

Mortal enemies.

Doomed love.

Marked as special at an early age, jacinda knows her every move is watched. But she lons for freedom to make her own choices. When she breaks the most sacred tenet among her kind, she nearly pays with her life. Until a beautiful stranger saves her. A stranger who was sent to hunt those like her. For Jacinda is a draki—a descendant of dragons whose greatest defense is her secret ability to shift into human form.

Forced to flee into the mortal world with her family, jacinda struggles to adapt to her new surroundings. The only bright light is Will. Gorgeous, elusive Will who stirs her inner drake to life. Although she is irresistibly drawn to him, Jacinda knows Will’s dark secret: He and his family are hunters. She should avoid him at all costs. But her inner drake is slowly slipping away—if it dies she will be left as a human forever. She’ll do anything to prevent that. Even if it means getting closer to her most dangerous enemy.

Mythical powers and breathtaking romance ignite in this story of a girl who defies all expectations and whose love crosses an ancient divide.


I like dragons. Who doesn’t? I had high hopes for this series, and have had it on my  to-read list for quite some time. But, well, it fell flat for me. It’s about a girl/dragon who is rebelling against the rules of the clan and almost gets herself killed by a hunter, who happens to be…you guessed it: a gorgeous guy that she immediately forms an infatuation with because he is “different”. I guess not killing you when he’s supposed to is different. Basically there are different plot points that seem to pop out of nowhere in order to get this girl to move to the one place that happens to miraculously be where gorgeous hunter boy lives. And, coincidentally enough, he is also the only guy around who makes her inner dragon well, ahem, burn? Roar? I don’t know. So, another excuse for her to stalk him, and he in turn stalks her too because coincidentally…well that’s a spoiler so I won’t say it. But you get my drift. There’s a lot of coincidence in this book, but okay, most books have a fantastical one in a million chance that makes something phenomenal happen, but this is a bit over the top for me. It lost my interest about 80 pages in and I had to force myself to keep reading. This is not a good dragon book. It’s basically another author finding a different creature to present the same story. Forbidden love. Go to school and meet. Fall in love.  Sad day for me. Warning: lots of making out and kissing. Little bit of swearing. Mentions drinking. FYI.

I give it a 3 out of 5 because it’s the average stuff going around. Well written, but average.

No comments:

Post a Comment