Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Brotherband 2: The Invaders


By John Flanagan

 As champions of the Brotherband competition, Hal and the rest of the Herons were given on simple assignment: safeguard the Skandians most sacred artifact, the Andomal.

They failed.

To redeem themselves, the Herons must track down the thief Zavac and his pirate crew and recover the Andomal. But that means traversing stormy seas, surviving a bitter winter, and battling a group of deadly bandits willing to protect their prize at all costs.



It took me quite a while to get my hands on the second installment of the Brotherband series, and now the third one is out and I am once again behind! At least I know I've got a good book waiting for me at all times.  This second book is great, we pick up with Hal and the crew of the Heron where we left them searching for the Andomal. While a little slow at times, Flanagan does an excellent job at describing the seamanship and training the boys go through in their quest and I was interested if not enthrawlled the entire time. True to form, this book has a great adventure tacked on and ingenuity abounds as Hal must figure out how to help a city get their town back from the terrible pirate Zavac and his men. You see more character development in this book and get to like everyone better, though I still hold a major bias and say that Ranger's Apprentice holds a pretty special place in my heart...along with Will, Halt, and Horace. :)

I give it a 3 1/2 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment