Friday, August 24, 2012

O Pioneers!


By Willa Cather

 
Alexandra Bergson, a young Swedish immigrant girl, inherits her father’s farm after his death only to have to deal with the ever-increasing hardship of farming a raw untamed prairie and two brothers who don’t see the worth in enduring for the land—a story full of strength, hardships, love, heartbreak, and even murder.



This is the first book I've read by Willa Cather, and honestly I probably wouldn't have read it if it wasn't on my booklist for one of my classes this fall. I really liked it. I'd heard that Willa Cather's most well-know book 'My Antonia' was boring, so I was ready to read something dull and difficult. I was surprised to get into this book right away. It wasn't full of action, but it was written in a way that made me care about the characters and their well-being. I wanted Alexandra to clock her brothers upside the head and show them that she was a smart lady and could manage their farm. I was rooting for her, and I was in pain when she was; it was wonderful and real-life book. It had the drama of love-lost, which was the part I had the most controversial thoughts about, and then the sweet coming together at the end was just the right touch for me. I really really enjoyed this classic.

I give it a 4 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment