Friday, August 24, 2012

Mortal Engines


By Phillip Reeve

 
Welcome to the astounding world of Mortal Engines! London is hunting again. Emerging from its hiding place in the hills, the great Traction City is chasing a terrified little town across the wastelands. Soon, London will feed. In the attack, Tom Natsworthy is flung from the speeding city with a murderous scar-faced girl. They must run for their lives through the wreckage—and face a terrifying new weapon that threatens the future of the world.



Cool beans. That is how I feel about this book by Phillip Reeve. I've been meaning to pick up something by Mr. Reeve for a few years now, and I'm glad I grabbed this one. It was awesome. I loved his world that was full of Traction Cities; cities built on huge moving parts that roved around eating smaller cities and towns. His story was great; a story about friendship, revenge, murder, love, freedom, and truth. It has everything! Action, adventure, great characters that I could immediately love or hate then change my mind when I found out more about them. Tom was a great main character, a sort of everyman for the reader to latch onto. Hester was a kind of pitiable tragic character, but by no means weak or damsel in distress material. I loved their relationship and how it goes from her trying to kill him, to them needing each other, to them liking each other, to wanting each other. It was great and very natural. Love love love it! Can't wait until the library gets the next book in the series so I can check it out! It's never there when I go. :(

I give it a solid 4 out of 5  great science fiction/steam punk feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment