Friday, August 24, 2012

Cinder and Ella


By Melissa Lemon

After her father’s disappearance, Cinder leaves home for a servant job at the castle. But it isn’t long before her sister Ella is brought to the castle herself. What Ella finds there starts a quest that will change her life and the entire kingdom. Cinder and Ella is a Cinderella story like no other, and one you’ll never forget.



I had some mixed feelings after finishing this book. It was a quick read, and had loads of good ideas in it. I loved the idea that everyone had their own tree they were connected to in life. I also liked the subltle christian themes in the book, but as I read it I felt like these ideas and themes weren't fully developed, but rather a sort of dream-like idea. I wanted it to be better than it was, and I really think that this author has a great start and I'll definately read other things by her, but it was a little underdeveloped for me; it could've been something really fantastic.
The basic story is about four sisters that have to cope with the disappearance of their father and their lives falling down around them. The oldest deals with it by focusing on her looks and material possessions, the youngest becomes helpless and babyish, the mother focuses on her spinning work and tries to forget the hurt. The second daughter, Cinder,  is the gentle service-oriented one who looks outside herself to try and heal. The third daughter, Ella, is the determined one who never gives up hope for her father to come home and is the fiesty one, yet is forgotten by everyone except her beloved sister Cinder.
The best part for me was the teasing that happened between Ella and Tanner. He kept on dropping her or not grabbing her fast enough when she fell and it was a very fun and endearing relationship. It made me smile and gave warm-fuzzies. :)

I give it a 3 out of 5 - it was average.

No comments:

Post a Comment