Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Farewell My Lovely

By Raymond Chandler

Philip Marlowe is about to give up on a completely routine case when he finds himself in the wrong place at the right time to get caught up in a murder that leads to a ring of jewel thieves, another murder, a fortune-teller, a couple more murders, and more corruption than your average graveyard.


Hardboiled fiction; just makes you smile thinking of the mob bosses, the sarcastic PIs, and the dangerous dames. This was my first walk through the park with a hardboiled mystery book instead of a movie. I gotta say, while it makes me laugh to read the sarcastic remarks of Marlowe, I was asking myself why I finished this book. It felt so incredibly disconnected and fantastical. Basically it's Marlowe gets beat up to an inch of his life, barely makes it out alive, drinks, goes back for more, gets his gun taken, drinks some more, gets knocked out, drinks some more...etc. I was not engaged at all, and didn't really care who did it, I just wanted out of that mess. This genre has it's charms, sure, but I doubt I'll ever traverse it again.

2 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment