Friday, November 19, 2010

Reckless


By Cornelia Funke

Beyond the mirror, the darkest fairy tales come alive….
For years, Jacob Reckless has enjoyed the Mirrorworld’s secrets and treasures.
Not anymore.
His younger brother has followed him.
Now dark magic will turn the boy to beast, break the heart of the girl he loves, and destroy everything Jacob holds most dear…
Unless he can find a way to stop it.
If you’re looking for happily ever after, you’ve come to the wrong place.



Okay, so look at the cover and read the last line of the summary. What does this suggest? Perhaps a less-than-happy story? You're right. I went against my better judgement and read this book because I heartily enjoyed the Inkheart trilogy and The Theif Lord by Funke, but this one had a bit too many dark tones for my tastes. It left me feeling icky. This book is about Jacob Reckless, a boy who has lost his father in the mirror world- a world that is strangely reminiscent of Grimm's fairy tales...extra Grimm. The whole premise of the book is Jacob's journey to try and save his brother Will from a curse that will turn him into a ruthless monster- nothing like the gentle loving soul he truly is. There is language and also blatant suggestion to immorality on Jacob's part which rankled me. There certainly was no happily ever after. In fact, I wondered what the point was at all. I definately don't reccommend it, even though I will say that it was superbly written and page-turner that lots of people will enjoy. Just a little too depressing and well....Grim.

No comments:

Post a Comment