Saturday, September 11, 2010

A Study in Scarlet


By Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

This is the first of the Sherlock Holmes mysteries. An introduction to the world's most famous and greatest detective. Come on an intelectual journey of mystery as Holmes solves a mystery dating back decades on the American continent...


Bleh. That is what I say. I have a major complaint and hatred towards this story. Okay…maybe hatred was a bit strong, but it really ticked me off. So this book had its roots within the story of the Mormons. Being Mormon myself, I was intrigued at first, and then horrified, then genuinely fiercely angry. The information is blatantly wrong and puts Mormons up there with murderers and cult-like beliefs with plural wives that are forced into matrimony to satisfy the men’s desires. I was appalled at not only the story, but the false depictions of actual men in history whom I hold a deep love and respect for. I balked at the fact that people probably read this and thought the worst about Mormons and held that belief their entire lives. Yuck. I would recommend never reading this particular Sherlock Holmes mystery from Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt and hope that if he had more resources at hand, he would never have falsified Mormons like he did. His other stories, by the way, are wonderful fun to read and I highly recommend them!

No comments:

Post a Comment