Saturday, September 25, 2010

The Vampire's Assistant (#2)


By Darren Shan

Darren Shan was just an ordinary schoolboy - until his visit to the Cirque Du Freak. Now, as he struggles with his new life as a Vampire's Assistant, he tries desperately to resist the one temptation that sickens him, the one thing that can keep him alive. Blood. But destiny is calling... the Wolf Man is waiting.

Okay, so, this book clinched it for me. Read Cirque du Freak? NO! Holy gross, horrific and simply wrong. At the risk of a little spoiler: a kid gets his guts eaten while he is still alive. I was sickened. It was described fully and grotesquely. I guess I asked for it by deciding to read these books. Lots of people like them, but that was just way too much gore and I don’t think that is healthy for kids to be reading. It was just sick pure and simple. It didn’t scare me, it just made me wrinkle my nose is abject disgust. I wouldn’t let a kid within a hundred miles of this book just because it is so violent and nasty. Sheesh, what is the world coming to people?

No comments:

Post a Comment