Friday, October 9, 2009

The Lighthouse War


By Adrian McKinty

When a mysterious message is picked up by the Cassini space probe orbiting Saturn, the world's leading scientists race to decode it. But only two people on Earth have the knowledge to read it...
Jamie O'Neill and his best friend, Ramsay, are seemingly ordinary guys: They play in a band called the Ayatollahs of Funk, wish they had girlfriends...and once saved an alien people from annihilation. they know the message from space is a call for help-their help.
But a return to the planet Altair is fraught with danger, physical and emotional. Wishaway, the girl Jamie fell for on their last visit, has married someone else, and the war-loving Alkhavans, whom Jamie and Ramsay once defearted, are on the rise again. This time their goal is the strange, fish-shaped device that enables Jamie to travel between planets. If the Salmon falls into the wrong hands, Jamie, Ramsay, and two unexpected hitchhikers will be stranded on Altair forever. And even worse, the ruthless Alkhavens will be on their way to Earth!

Thrills, laughs, and surprises await in this second book in The Lighthouse Trilogy, which Publishers Weekly called "enjoyable" and "intelligent" and Kliatt call "fresh and unique."


I've gotta stop starting series. I think I'm in the middle of at least ten. This one is a bit different from my usual reads. First off, usually I don't go for alien literature or sci-fi stuff. It's just a little too wierd normally. I finished this second book in quite the hurry, and I didn't like it as much as the first book. It sort of lost the character depth and seemed to be a bit too plot driven for my tastes. I did greatly enjoy the end, as it brought a bit of a twist that I liked. I don't know if I'd recomend anyone continuing on with this book. The nice thing is, you can read the first book and you don't feel like you have to read the next one. I'll let you all know as soon as I read the last book in the trilogy. Then I'll tell you if it's worth the time. All in all though, it has a fun story and it is quite different from the norm of today. It's got some hints of some past sci fi novels, and it does have some hilarious times where it mentions things from pop culture. I laughed right out loud at lines about Harry Potter and Star Wars. It's entertaining- when all is said and done.

No comments:

Post a Comment