Monday, October 12, 2009

David Copperfield


By Charles Dickens

"Whether I shall turn out to be the hero of my own life, or whether that station will be held by anybody else, these pages must show." So begins Dickens story of David Copperfield, a young man whose journey through an impoverished childhood brings him into an adult life that is eventually filled with material success as he takes up authorship.
Full of memorable characters and in classic Dickens style, David Copperfield tells the story about the life of a young man who takes us through many of the lessons we all must learn and shows us his triumphs and mistakes. David shows us through his life that kindness and amiability will win us friends, fortunes, and treasures beyond all earthly possessions.


YAY!! I finally finished! Okay, I started this months ago, and sorta died and lost interest about halfway through (it's an 800 page book in the culture of victorian england) and didn't pick it up until three days ago. Accordingly, I couldn't put it down, and finished it in that short time. The ending was very full of surprising circumstances and I was hooked. It was quite fun to follow the characters, whom Dickens always portrays so vividly. David's Aunt Betsy Trotwood was quite hilarious, as a woman who disdained matrimony and was forever chasing donkeys off of her property, waving her bonnet and scaring any folk who came around. Uriah Heep was always writhing and making me cringe with his declarations of being 'umble. And then there was Mr. Micawber with his flowery letters and lack of common sense when it came to expenses. Each character, no matter how small in the story, was represented so wonderfully that I can immediately call up their likeness in my mind.
As for the story itself, I admit is a bit hard to get through (as it took me a few months with a grand break in the middle). Reading 800 pages of the slow-moving pace at which David narrates his story is a bit trying. Especially since I've gotten quite out of the habbit of reading slower...I usually devour books in a short while, so it was difficult to slow down. But as with all of the classic literature the first thing I said when I read the last line was, "I love Dickens." with a sigh and a smile. It's a great work of literature, and I enjoyed it greatly, and I enjoy the day after when I keep thinking of all the things I've read. Apparently from the little I know of Dickens himself, this book is supposed to be losely based on his own life. I don't much like to read other people's oppinions though, they tend to ruin a great work of literature for me by making it base and perverting it. When all is said and done, I loved reading it, and especially the last two paragraphs where David Praises the love of his life in making him into the man he became.

No comments:

Post a Comment