Saturday, September 12, 2009

As a Man Thinketh


By James Allen



Throughout his life, James Allen sought an oasis of tranquility amidst the violent tides of change wrought by the Industrial Revolution in England. Inspired by his meditations, he composed a series of short, pointed essays on the power of thinking positively and its influence on character, circumstance, and health. Since its publication, As a Man Thinketh has put that power in the hands of millions of readers, and continues to provide inspiration in the twenty-first century.

In expanding on the aphorism "As a man thinketh in his heart so is he," Allen takes in the full range of natural philosphy. His message is that we are the architects of our own destiny, and that the tools for building a purposeful, satisfying life lie within us, "Only the wise man, only he he whose thoughts are controlled and purified, makes the winds and the storms of the soul obey him," writes Allen. As a Man Thinketh is a book of optimism, hope, and practical good sense for all those seeking wisdom and serenity in a turbulent, complex world.



I was first introduced to As a Man Thinketh in my institute class my freshman year of college. I had every intention of picking it up and reading the whole of his essays, but it has taken me three years to actually do it. I wish I would've read it sooner. Allen's book is full of great and powerful truths about the way we work and how our thoughts direct our lives. It is absolutely amazing. I read it and found out a lot about myself and have started putting many of its teachings into practice. Everyone should not only read this book, but they should go buy it, and read it again and again, marking it and treasuring it. It is one of those books that will make your life better by reading it! It went directly on my 'favorites' shelf, only to go right back into my purse to read whenever I get a moment. Again, it is fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment