Monday, February 18, 2013

Love Sworn

By Tess Williams

An enchanted castle, a self-absorbed rich boy, a painful curse, and the quiet heart of a beautiful girl…
Can a monster fall in love?

Love Sworn is a modern day retelling of the classic story, Beauty and the Beast, with a werewolf twist.

Adelle is trapped by a man, a monster, with a serious attitude problem. Her only comfort comes from the furry, scaly, and feathered household help, and her unexpected friendship with a white wolf named Max.

Dmitri is trapped by a curse and now by a girl. One way or another, he has to find freedom.

So I’ve been hunting for ages for a really good beauty and the beast book, and this one came pretty dang close to fitting the mold for me. It went slower and developed the relationship between Adelle and Dmitri, which was sweet, if a little confusing at times. I liked Adelle, but she came across as a little dim-witted at times. Dmitri was (sadly) a gorgeous guy when he wasn’t a…gorgeous wolf. The beast part never really played in for me. Wolves are not what I’d considered Beast material, I think they are beautiful. Dmitri was also a little quick to ‘change’ for me, it seemed like he suddenly decided that he was going to be nice to Adelle and then just as sudden he realizes he loves her. Her feelings were a little slower and therefore more realistic to me. She was infatuated and curious, but love didn’t come until later. When all is said and done though, it was a fun and entertaining read as well as warm-fuzzy at moments. It’s a nice romantic read that I did enjoy despite my critiques. As far as Beauty and the Beast re-tellings go, this one is probably toward the top for me.

3 ½ out of 5 because it was sweet and fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment