Friday, August 14, 2009

The Amaranth Enchantment


By Julie Berry


'I looked up to see the prince- the prince!- peering down over the counter's edge at me.
"You don't need to do that," he said.
"Do what?"
"Get down on your knees. Unless you are proposing marriage."
I scrambled to my feet. "As you wish." I dusted off my skirt. "You know best." Stupid response! Could I mortify myself any more?
He turned and doffed his hat to Uncle, who'd only just barely gotten back on his feet.
"I fear I must be going, sir," he said. "I haven't time for a special order. I need something sooner." His eyes glanced my way. "Your shop assistant shows great promise."
He was mocking me. I was ridiculous to him.
Then he bowed to me. "A pleasure. Might I ask your name?"
As God is my witness, I swear this is true: I couldn't think what it was.'



This was one of those books I found in the library, hoping to find something nice and fluffy with a fun romance and good humor in it. I was sort of hoping for the reincarnation of Ella Enchanted. Lets just say, I wasn't enchanted. It was strange and lacked the barriers that a story needs. I still have no clue what point, if any, the author was trying to make. It was a nice story, but it just felt really novice, which is to be expected with a first novel from Julie Berry. But I was really disappointed, I guess I was hoping for a great read and put my expectations too high. It's alright to pass the time, but overall I would find something better to read. It didn't even have a good love story. Sigh.


P.S. Sorry it's taken so long, I've been having some personal issues, so I haven't been reading much. It'll get better from here I think.




No comments:

Post a Comment