Friday, August 14, 2009

By These Ten Bones


By Clare B. Dunkle


A mysterious young man has come to a small Highland town. His talent for carving soon wins him work at the castle-and the admiration of the weaver's daughter, Maddie. Fascinated by the silent carver, she sets out to gain his trust, only to find herself drawn into a terrifying secret that threatens everything she loves.
There is an evil presence in the wood carver's life that cannot be controlled, and Maddie watches her town fall under a shadow. One by one, people begin to die. Caught in the middle, Maddie must decide what matters most-and what price she is willing to pay to keep it.



This was my second time around reading this book, and it passed the test of time. I still absolutely was engrossed. The best part about this book is the characters and the timelessness of good vs. evil and love crossing all boundaries. Just the kind of thing that is right down my alley. I would highly recommend this book to people who love mythological creatures (especially Werewolves) and medieval times. This book is set in Scotland fairly soon after Christianity was introduced and accepted, but still harbors Pagan beliefs and superstition. My only warning is this: it has some quite gruesome descriptions and gory sections in it that on my first reading I felt were overdone. Although, it didn't truly bother me because it was so over-the-top I couldn't believe it anyway. Although it does make for some strong imagery in your brain. I suggest ages being at least 14 to read this. Just to get where it's coming from. Overall though, I'd love to own this book for the great story, characters, plot, and message. It gave me some things to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment