Monday, July 20, 2015

William Shakespeare's Star Wars: Verily a New Hope

By Ian Doescher

Return once more to a galaxy far, far away with this sublime retelling of George Lucas’s epic Star Wars in the style of the immortal Bard of Avon. The saga of a wise (Jedi) knight and an evil (Sith) lord, of a beautiful princess held captive and a young hero coming of age, Star Wars abounds with all the valor and villainy of Shakespeare’s greatest plays. ‘Tis a tale told by fretful Droids, full of faithful Wookies and fearsome Stormtroopers, signifying…pretty much everything.
Reimagined in glorious iambic pentameter, William Shakespeare’s Star Wars will astound and edify Rebels and Imperials alike. Zounds! This is the book you’re looking for.

This is geek love. Shakespeare meets Star Wars, holy mackerel. I was laughing just reading the title. I brought this home and read the first act out loud to my family, including my nieces and nephews and we all had a blast. My Nephews went home quoting this book. The best part is, not only was it a laugh, it was truly artistic in how Mr. Doescher presented it. It was a legit Shakespeare experience! I was shocked how I went from amused to really liking it as a form of literature. I thought it would be a satire and poking fun at both Shakespeare and Star Wars, but dude this was pretty fantastic. Who knew that two such opposite things would mesh so well? Well done Mr. Doescher, well, done indeed.


I give it a 3.75 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment