Sunday, December 28, 2014

Stardust

By Neil Gaiman

Hopelessly crossed in love, a boy of half-fairy parentage leaves his mundane Victorian-English village on a quest for a fallen star in the magical realm. The star proves to be an attractive woman with a hot temper, who plunges with our hero into adventures featuring witches, the lion and the unicorn, plotting elf-lords, ships that sail the sky, magical transformations, curses whose effects rebound, binding conditions with hidden loopholes and all the rest.

Neil Gaiman is amazing, in case you didn’t know…but this book kinda fell flat for me. For one thing it had a seeming random triste between one of the princes and a bar-maid that was a bit too much for my sensitivities to handle, as well as a love scene right off the bat from which our hero is the outcome. Cue awkward feelings. I read this because I enjoyed the movie adaptation so much. I’ve had to warn people that I recommended the movie to about the content of the book in case they were eyeing it, because they feel the way I do about “adult content”. That being said, normally I appreciate Gaiman’s dry wit and clever creativity in his writing, but this just seem dry with too little wit and I found myself reading it without my accustomed excitement for one of his books. I just didn’t fancy this one Neil, sorry. If you like fantasy and loveliness, try one of Neil’s other books like The Graveyard Book, or Odd and the Frost Giants. I loved both, but those are young adult genres, so maybe it’s just that I love Neil’s younger audience books? I’ve got a few of his adult books in my reading queue so I’ll let you know how those go!

This one gets a 2.5 out of 5 because it was professional and an adventure.


No comments:

Post a Comment