Friday, August 2, 2013

Wonder


By R.J. Palacio

I won’t describe what I look like. Whatever you’re thinking, it’s probably worse.

August Pullman was born with a facial deformity that, up until now, has prevented him from going to a mainstream school. Starting 5th grade at Beecher Prep, he wants nothing more than to be treated as an ordinary kid—but his new classmates can’t get past Auggie’s extraordinary face. Wonder begins from Auggie’s point of view, but soon switches to include his classmates, his sister, her boyfriend, and others. These perspectives converge in a portrait of one community’s struggle with empathy, compassion, and acceptance.

 
This book was surprising, touching, and absolutely wondrous. The author stated in one interview that this book was a “study in kindness” and it definitely made my favorite book of the year list. I was constantly engaged and impressed with the message and content of this book dealing with the cruelty and kindness of humanity. My favorite part is the overall message the author sends: people are better than we think and will more often choose to be kind when given a chance. I loved Auggie’s voice and was surprised that the different points of view from his older sister, to his classmates to his sister’s boyfriend worked so well. I’m not usually an advocate of different P.O.V’s but this worked so well and gave the book a depth and character that was endearing. I would recommend this book to everyone and anyone. I’ve already suggested it to scores of people who ask me what to read. It’s a book that brings tears at times and had me wiping my cheeks at the greatness of individuals and the power of kindness and friendship.

I give it a 4.75 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment