Friday, July 27, 2012

Worldshaker

By Richard Harland

 Col Porpentine understands how society works: The elite families enjoy a comfortable life on the Upper Decks of the great juggernaut Worldshaker, and the Filthies toil Below Decks. Col’s grandfather, the superme Commander of Worldshaker, is grooming Col as his successor.
Used to keep Worldshaker moving, Filthies are like animals, unable to understand language or think for themselves. Or so Col believes before he meets Riff, a Filthy girl on the run who is clever and quick. If Riff is telling the truth, then everything Col has been told is a lie. And Col has the power to do something about it—even if it means risking his whole future.


This book was surprisingly awesome. I was expecting a run-of-the mill steampunk novel with lots of mechanics and some strange ethics. There were both, but also a few nice surprises that I appreciated and enjoyed about this novel. I didn't know this was a series when I picked it up, but I recently got my hands on the second installment and I'll let you know if it's worth picking up. This book can stand alone if you just want something fun to read. Col is a character who, like most of us, has ideas of what he'd like the world to be like, but has a hard time making those ideas reality. The more he finds out about what the truth really is, the more he realizes that things should change, but how can he turn his back on everything? On his future? It takes this kid a long time and a huge shove to get him to act, which is how most people are I think. I liked Col. Riff was a little harder to understand, but mysterious and strong which balances Col very well. Gread read if you like science fiction/steampunk novels.

I give it a 3 1/2 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment