Saturday, May 19, 2012

Shakespeare's Sonnets

By William Shakespeare

So, this is the complete collection of Sonnets by Shakespeare, it's kinda hard to give a summary of them, but most deal with death, love, riches, and other topics. I think everybody is at least familiar with 116, you know the one, "...Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds," Well, that one is definately a favorite, but I found tons of awesome gems that I'd never heard before, so I thought I'd just share a few a get you in the mood to take the time to read this. I know poetry isn't for everyone...but it should be!  This is a quick and beautiful read.



"But wherefore do not you a mighteir way
Make war upon this bloody tyrant, Time?
And foritfy your self in your decay
With means more blessed than my barren rhyme?
Now stand you on the top of happy hours,
And many maiden gardens, yet unset,
With virtuous wish could bear you living flowers,
Much liker than your pianted counterfeit:
So should the lines of  life that life repair,
Which this, Time's pencil, or my pupil pen,
Neither in inward worth nor outward fair,
Can make you live you self in eyes of men.
To give away yourself, keeps yourself still,
And you must live, drawn by your own sweet skill."

Sonnet 17

No comments:

Post a Comment