Sunday, February 12, 2012

Birthmarked

By Caragh M. O’Brien


In the future, in a world baked dry by the harsh sun, there are those who live inside the wall and those, like sixteen-year-old midwife Gaia Stone, who live outside. Gaia has always believed it is her duty, with her mother, to hand over a small quota of babies to the Enclave. But when Gaia’s mother and father are arrested by the very people they so dutifully serve, Gaia is forced to question everything she has been taught to believe. Gaia’s choice is now simple: enter the world of the Enclave to rescue her parents, or die trying.


This was much better than I was expecting. I was waiting for the typical girl meets boy, falls in love, danger etc. and the trilogy continues! But this was different from the run of the mill lately. I was entertained and kept guessing, and was delighted the by the last few chapters of the book I got a nice plot twisting surprise. Gaia is easy to like as a heroine, and I was rather interested in the dystopian future world that Ms. O’Brien set up with the Enclave. It seems a bit fuzzy to be honest when you get into the actual why and how of the history of the place, and you wonder how the future got this way, but the characters and the story are good enough that it isn’t a huge factor in the likeability of this book. I enjoyed the growth of Gaia as she learns and figures things out, though I wonder how anyone could think it was okay to give a baby away…but it is explained in a way I could accept. Sgt. Grey is the more interesting character for me, and I admit, the author was able to make me really like him along with Gaia. But, I thought the end could’ve flowed better. All I can say is that Ms. O’Brien had better not make her book into a 3-way love triangle or I may just find her and strangle her!!! (If she ends up dead somewhere, it really wasn’t me…)

3 1/4 out of 5 (It was a little better than average for the genre, so that's my generous 1/4 :) )

No comments:

Post a Comment