Thursday, July 9, 2009

Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment


By James Patterson


Max, Fang, Iggy, Nudge, the Gasman, and Angel. Six kids who are pretty normal in most ways- except that they're 98% human, 2% bird. They grew up in a lab, living like rats in cages, but now they're free. Aside, of course, from the fact that they're prime prey for Erasers- wicked, wolflike creatures with a taste for flying humans.
When Angel is kidnapped, the flock takes off to rescue her from the dreaded School. Will Max be able to lead the flock in time to rescue Angel? And what about the fact that they now know how to find their parents, but it takes breaking into a top secret institution in New York City? Come fly with the super-powered crew on the beginning of an adventure that just might end in not just saving Angel...but the world.


I've been meaning to read this book for at least two years now and have finally gotten to it; and I was mildly surprised. There were quite a few points in the book where I had no clue whatsoever was going to happen. I was right there with Max wondering what the heck to do next. It was a fast and fun read, though with definate darker undertones. There is a lot of abuse and some violent scenes with the Erasers that end with some painful wounds and a few gruesome deaths. I read this book with the sense of watching the movie in my mind, so it was very graphic for me. I'd suggest 14 and up. The one thing I enjoyed the most about the writing was the voice that Patterson was able to give to Max as she narrates the story. It's really fun to see her personality leaking through the pages. This is a fun book for teens and I'd suggest it to boys and girls equally; it's action packed, with a female lead character. Although it does have very little depth, and has a gigantic cliffhanger, I find it very soap opera-like at the same time in the fact that drama drives the story more than the characters or even the plot. I will say this for Patterson's jump into writing youth fiction: he can write a page-turner.

No comments:

Post a Comment