Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Things Not Seen


By Andrew Clements

Things were pretty normal for Bobby up until now. This morning he woke up and couldn’t see himself in the mirror. Not blind, not dreaming- Bobby is invisible. There doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason why; even his physicist Dad can’t figure it out. For Bobby, that means no school, no friends, no life. He’s a missing person. Then he meets Alicia. She’s blind, and Bobby can’t resist talking to her, trusting her. But people are starting to wonder where Bobby is, and if he’s even still alive. Bobby knows that his invisibility could have dangerous consequences for his family and that time is running out. He has to find out how to be seen again-before it’s too late.

I’ve never read Andrew Clements before, but apparently he’s written over 50 books for kids. This book was entertaining. A good mix of science-fiction/fantasy and truth. This was a quick read and kept me interested the whole time. There were a few kinda awkward moments when Bobby was naked and invisible that I was actually blushing for the kid. I don’t think I could walk around stark naked even if I was invisible. It has a sweet little budding romance, and I enjoyed the references to other books in it, and the characters are very ‘real’. I think I will pick up more of his books after reading this one. It slyly addressed people who feel invisible in their own lives and how horrible that can be. It was a great read. Once you read this book, however, you will never look at electric blankets in the same way again! Happy reading.

2 comments:

  1. OK...Staci the book guru (don't know if I spelled that right???) had never read an Andrew Clements book until now???? What is the world coming to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I don't claim to be a guru of anything...and it takes me a while sometimes to get to everything! ^_^

    ReplyDelete