Monday, June 29, 2009

Burrying Our Swords: How Christ Can Remove Rebellion From Our Hearts


By Kevin Hinckley

Mike and Sherrie Thomas are sick with worry. Their son Kyle has taken a wrong turn, leaving both their home and the gospel.
One day Mike finds a cryptic message on his desk at work, written on yellow paper and folded in half. "Alma 23:7," it said.
Thus Mike begins a deep and thoughtful search of the scriptures-and his own heart- to discover how to retrieve his wayward son. In the process he learns that, like the Anti-Nephi-Lehies in the Book of Mormon, he must bury his own swords of unrighteousness.

An extended parable that's filled with wisdom and insight, Burrying Our Swords: How Christ can Remove Rebellion from Our Hearts helps us understand the value of sacrificing something we view as important for something the Lord views as more important. "In our rush to do things 'our way', we may end up ignoring and running from God's counsel, simply because we're not yet ready to do things 'his way', author Kevin Hinckley writes.
Just as the Anti-Nephi-Lehies buried their swords in a covenant to no longer rebel against God or man, Hinckley teaches us how we, too, can bury the swords of our rebellion- and in the process, find greater peace in our lives and our relationships.


I've loaned this book to quite a few people because I was just awed by the insights I found inside of it that led me to look at my own life and what swords I was lugging around that needed to not only be put down, but burried for good. I think I enjoyed it more because it was just like how Jesus taught (though less through symbols) by telling a story that everyone can relate to. It inspired me to search the scriptures more diligently and truly study them to find messages like the one Mike found in this book. It really changed my perception of things and gave me a beautiful example in the Book of Mormon that I had never seen before and was shocked that I didn't notice it. It's a book that I'm so glad I decided to pick up and read because it has helped me change a lot of things that I needed just a little bit more of a nudge to really change.

No comments:

Post a Comment