Sunday, June 19, 2016

Lord Fenton's Folly

By Josi S. Kilpack

Lord Fenton is a gambler and a dandy, and he will be stripped of his wealth and position unless he rises to his responsibility—one of which is to marry. Far from being a giddy groom, Fenton chooses the unobjectionable Alice Stanbridge simply because he had known her as a young girl and his mother feels Alice would make a good wife.
Alice, however, has harbored feelings for Fenton since their first meeting years ago, and his proposal is a dream come true. Not only would a match with the most-eligible bachelor in London secure her future, but it will also give her a place of distinction and admiration. Had anyone admired Alice for anything before now?
When Alice learns that she is not only an unwanted wife, but a demanded one, however, she closes her heart. Only when Lord Fenton faces the greatest trial of his life does he begin to find love beyond the folly. Could a great love come from a beginning such as this?

The historical regency “proper” romances are one of my guilty pleasures, and I can’t help but blow through them for a shot of warm fuzzy goodness. I was especially excited about this one because of Lord Fenton’s funny cameos in Kilpack’s other regency romance “A Heart Revealed” and was looking forward to seeing the comedic Fenton meet his match (pun intended). This was an unpleasing read for me. I’m going to give a few spoilers in the following so stop reading if you don’t want to know. Usually there is some kind of moral hang up that happens preventing the romance from progressing. This is the case for Fenton, who has an issue with intimacy because of the transgressions of his father. I had a really hard time reading this because of that. I disliked reading it, and it didn’t feel like a true ‘proper’ romance because of it. As I’ve always stated however, I am highly sensitive and don’t care for anything of a sexual nature in my books. A good kiss is okay, but other than that makes me uncomfortable.


I give it a 2.75 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment