Sunday, February 28, 2016

Guitar Notes

By Mary Amato

On odd days, Tripp uses a school practice room to let loose on a borrowed guitar. Eyes closed, strumming that beat-up instrument, Tripp escapes to a world where only the music matters.
On even days, Lyla Marks uses the same practice room. To Tripp, she’s trying to become even more perfect—she’s already a straight-A student and an award-winning cellist. But when Lyla begins leaving notes for him in between the strings of the guitar, his life intersects with hers in a way he never expected.
What starts as a series of snippy notes quickly blossoms into the sharing of interests and secrets and dreams, and the forging of a very unlikely friendship.
Challenging each other to write songs, they begin to connect, even though circumstances threaten to tear them apart.
From beloved author Mary Amato comes a YA novel of wit and wisdom, both heartfelt and heartbreaking, about the power of music and the unexpected chords that draw us together.

This was a surprise. A good surprise. I enjoyed the story, and found myself smiling at the notes these two teens left each other, which started out snotty, then sarcastic, then teasing, then just friendly. I loved how music was what both brought them into each other’s radar, and also healed both of them from their own problems. Being a music lover this was great and made me wish my small hands could play the guitar. Best part of the book: They did not fall in love. This may be a negative to a lot of people, but for me it was perfect. They really love each other, but it’s because they made a connection that could turn into something more, but for this book, it’s that fierce love that comes with true friendship. I was also excited to find out after I read the book that you can go online and download the songs that Lyla and Tripp write! I spent at least 2 weeks listening to the songs. I loved them all, but the Pomegranate waltz and Tripp’s last song were my favorites.  This was a coming of age story, a friendship story, and a story about being who you are and doing what you love.


I give it a 4.25 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment