Monday, January 17, 2011

A Christmas Carol


By Charles Dickens

Miserly Ebenezer Scrooge is warned by his old partner, dead 7 years, that he is headed down the path that will bind him into chains if he doesn’t change. Scrooge is visited by three spirits and learns what his life was, what it is and what it could be.



So I read this aloud to my parents over Christmas break and heartily enjoyed it. I finally seemed to get through to my mother in saying that Dickens is wicked awesome and quite witty. I'd never read this famous novel and wasn't disappointed, having read a few of his other books. Ebenezer Scrooge is a deliciously colorful character, which makes it so much fun to meet the ghosts of Christmas past, present and future with him. Dickens makes this tale a message to us all what not only the Christmas season is about, but what life is about- love and happiness and family. I can't say how enjoyable it was to retire to the living room around the Christmas tree each night to read a bit of this novel. It left all of us feeling contented and warm; I hope to continue the tradition every year.

No comments:

Post a Comment